Make the case for Ignition

Real-world application. Granted, this was from the FSQL days, but Ignition has made things even better!

We have a customer requirement for a traceability on the door modules we produce. The powers the be decreed that we would use a system by Rockwell Automation, as they were our “preferred solution provider”, rather than FSQL. So we spent approximately $65,000 on software and another approximately $40,000 in engineering costs to try to integrate an OMRON platform into their stuff (I censored myself a bit, there), and then spend another two years trying to keep it all running with weekly (sometimes daily, sometimes hourly) problems-- not to mention family issues by the 2am calls. All for trying to keep seven bits of software to play nicely with each other.

Then, after calling me to fix it while I was on vacation (y’all know I’m, like, 800 miles away, right?), I convinced them to streamline the system (meaning yank out all the Rockwell stuff and put in FSQL). two years and absolutely no issues and under $10,000. Here’s a couple of pics to illustrate the flow.

1 Like