Re: Multiple Versions of Ignition
We recommend using virtual machines in this scenario. You can use VMWare if you have it or VirtualBox (which is free, and you can use Ubuntu).
Besides that, you can install multiple Ignitions on the same computer. You should only have one of them running at a time though. To install multiple Ignitions you cannot use the Ignition installer, you have to use the Windows zip files that you can download from our website. Follow these instructions:
1) Download the Ignition Windows zip for the versions you need. Make sure you get the right architecture: 32 or 64 bit. Let's say you are going to install 7.3 and 7.4.
2) Unzip the 7.3 Ignition to C:\Program Files\Inductive Automation\Ignition 7.3
3) Open the ignition.conf file located in the data directory in your text editor. Look for the line
Replace "java" with the path to your Java installation. Typically it is "C:\Program FIles\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe".
4) In the same file look for the following lines (at the very bottom):
Change those to the following for 7.3:
wrapper.displayname=Ignition Gateway 73
wrapper.description=Ignition Gateway 73
5) Close the file. Now back in the install directory run the install-ignition.bat file (in C:\Program Files\Inductive Automation\Ignition 7.3). That will create a Windows service called Ignition73.
6) Follow the same steps for 7.4 creating a new service Ignition74.
Again make sure only one of them is running at any given time since they are using the same TCP ports. Let us know if you have any problems.