Ignition 7.3 and Java 7

I’m going to be working on getting everything running correctly under Java 7 pretty soon here.

I was hoping that those of you who have already tried Java 7 or those that are willing to try it could do so and report your problems back to me. For some issues it may be helpful to get a gateway backup or window export, but I’ll let you know if that’s necessary.

I’m going to be focusing on 7.3 at first. No promises on 7.2 yet.

Issues:

• Mobile Module does not work
  • Deserialization error on windows that contain a titled border

Would you recomend not using Java 7 at the moment or do the known problems not cause any significant issues ?

Yes, we would recommend not using Java 7 until we can find any potential problems. It does work with the current version of Ignition but it is possible to run into problems we haven’t seen yet.

I too had problems initially, but after upgrading to the latest version, its ok

(EX… the Fonts will change, the colors will change (if you run the Ignition software on Java 7)

Yes, we should update this thread to say that as of 7.3.3, we’re not aware of any outstanding issues. We’ve had a number of customers running on Java 7, and many of us (myself included) have been using it without a problem.

Regards,

While looking at the localization application (I18N_Software) today on my laptop, I noticed a rendering issue … seems as though a control from the previous screen stayed rendered over the new screen … not sure where the issue stems from, figured I’d post it here. In the screenshot below, the Languages grid was from the previous screen …

No, that’s actually a “quick select” drop down for the language. If appears when you click on the flag next to the language, and should disappear if you click again (or select a language). Just a “feature”.

Regards,

I have had problems since upgrading to Java 7 as well.
The most prevalent of which are objects disappearing or moving to a random location on the screen when I try to change the Z-Location of the object. This happens so frequently that now I save prior to performing Z location changes.

Additionally sometimes the Duplicate function does not work correctly.

There may have been others, I will keep track and post in here as I find issues.

I am currently running 7.4.2 with the latest version of Firefox on a WinXP VM that is running on a Windows 7 Machine.

Any news on mobile module java 7 compatibility? Next release maybe?

It’s not likely to ever happen. The technology stack the current mobile module is built on fundamentally won’t run on Java 7 because of how deep into Java 6 it has its hooks (using internal, do-not-use-because-it’ll-change classes, basically).

Does that answer allude to the fact that there is another method of displaying mobile ignition projects in the pipe works?

For instance a native Android client…

I’m actually having a ton of trouble launching the designer on 10.8.2 OSX Mountain Lion.

Using Java 7, I just see the “Java 7” splash screen until I kill the process.

Going through the “How to install Java 6” instructions I’ve found, I’m left with this:

Matthews-MacBook-Pro:Downloads karnick$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_37"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_37-b06-434-11M3909)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.12-b01-434, mixed mode)
Matthews-MacBook-Pro:Downloads karnick$ 

Matthews-MacBook-Pro:Downloads karnick$ javaws designer.jnlp Java Web Start splash screen process exiting ..... Bad installation. No JRE found in configuration file Matthews-MacBook-Pro:Downloads karnick$

Don’t know if knowing my kernel version helps, but:

Matthews-MacBook-Pro:Downloads karnick$ uname -a
Darwin Matthews-MacBook-Pro.local 12.2.0 Darwin Kernel Version 12.2.0: Sat Aug 25 00:48:52 PDT 2012; root:xnu-2050.18.24~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

Applications in applet mode do not load either. I’m pretty convinced this is a Java related issue and not a problem with Ignition. I saw an Ignition related post that mentioned deleting certain entries from the .jnlp file, but I am still dead in the water. Is this a known issue? I can’t find much information concerning a solution.

[quote=“karnick”]I’m actually having a ton of trouble launching the designer on 10.8.2 OSX Mountain Lion.

Using Java 7, I just see the “Java 7” splash screen until I kill the process.

Going through the “How to install Java 6” instructions I’ve found, I’m left with this:

Matthews-MacBook-Pro:Downloads karnick$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_37"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_37-b06-434-11M3909)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.12-b01-434, mixed mode)
Matthews-MacBook-Pro:Downloads karnick$ 

Matthews-MacBook-Pro:Downloads karnick$ javaws designer.jnlp Java Web Start splash screen process exiting ..... Bad installation. No JRE found in configuration file Matthews-MacBook-Pro:Downloads karnick$

Don’t know if knowing my kernel version helps, but:

Matthews-MacBook-Pro:Downloads karnick$ uname -a
Darwin Matthews-MacBook-Pro.local 12.2.0 Darwin Kernel Version 12.2.0: Sat Aug 25 00:48:52 PDT 2012; root:xnu-2050.18.24~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

Applications in applet mode do not load either. I’m pretty convinced this is a Java related issue and not a problem with Ignition. I saw an Ignition related post that mentioned deleting certain entries from the .jnlp file, but I am still dead in the water. Is this a known issue? I can’t find much information concerning a solution.[/quote]

Yeah, it’s a Java issue. Oracle has been doing their best to make our lives harder lately. Here’s what you need to do:

1. Use the latest Java 7.

2. Download the JNLP file, open it, and you’ll see three lines as follows:

<j2se version="1.7" initial-heap-size="64M" max-heap-size="1024M" java-vm-args="-XX:MaxPermSize=128m"/>
    <j2se version="1.6" initial-heap-size="64M" max-heap-size="1024M" java-vm-args="-XX:MaxPermSize=128m"/>
    <j2se version="1.5" initial-heap-size="64M" max-heap-size="1024M" java-vm-args="-XX:MaxPermSize=128m"/>
  1. Edit those lines so they look like this instead:
    <j2se version="1.7" initial-heap-size="64M" max-heap-size="1024M"/>
    <j2se version="1.6" initial-heap-size="64M" max-heap-size="1024M"/>
    <j2se version="1.5" initial-heap-size="64M" max-heap-size="1024M"/>
  1. Launch from the JNLP file for now instead of the shortcut (if shortcut creation even succeeds).

The unfortunate side-effect of removing those parameters is that you probably won’t be able to load the designer while the symbol factory module is installed…

Kevin,

Thanks for the quick response. The modification has worked on both the designer and application jnlp files.