HOW-TO Ignition on Ubuntu Server

Ok, this is my attempt at a how to. No pictures… yet. I am assuming you already have Ubuntu server installed. The commands will look a little different for previous version of Ubuntu server, and I will fill in those gaps at a later time.

1. This step updates all packages currently installed on the server

sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get upgrade

1b. Setup networking

sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces

for dhcp, keep the interface set as follows. Replace eth0 with the desired interface identifier.

# The primary network interface auto eth0 iface eth0 inet dhcp

For Static Ip mapping

# The primary network interface auto eth0 iface eth0 inet static address x.x.x.x netmask x.x.x.x gateway x.x.x.x

Add an unprivileged user to run Ignition

sudo useradd -r ignition
  1. Install the java runtime and the zip utilities
sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre zip unzip

3.download the Ignition executable stack. Replace xxxx with the build number you would like to use
For 32 Bit:

wget "http://files.inductiveautomation.com/release/buildxxxx/Ignition-buildxxxx-linux.zip"

For 64 Bit:

wget "http://files.inductiveautomation.com/release/buildxxxx/Ignition-buildxxxx-linux-x64.zip"
  1. Unzip software to the location of your choosing. I use /opt/ignition. Set permissions

sudo mkdir /opt/ignition sudo cp Ignition-buildxxxx-linux(-x64).zip /opt/ignition/ cd /opt/ignition/ sudo unzip Ignition-buildxxxx-linux-(x64).zip

Set permissions

sudo chmod u+x ignition-gateway ignition.sh sudo chown -R ignition.ignition .

Edit ignition.sh to allow unprivileged user to run ignition

sudo nano ignition.sh

Replace line

PIDDIR="."

with

PIDDIR="/tmp"

and line

#RUN_AS_USER=

with

RUN_AS_USER=ignition
  1. Symlink the startup script
sudo ln -s /opt/ignition/ignition.sh /etc/init.d/ignition

Enable startup script

sudo update-rc.d ignition defaults

6.Startup the service. For Ubuntu 9.10+, use the following command

sudo service ignition start

For 9.04 and before, use

sudo /etc/init.d/ignition start
  1. Browse to http://ipaddress:8088

That should be everything you need to get a working copy of Ignition working. I will add to this walkthough soon on how to install MySQl either from the repositories or from tar.gz. Also, I am looking a modifying the startup script to allow shutdown of the service, and running it as a different user.

Kyle,

Have you used “tasksel” should work good for Mysql install.

Yes,either tasksel or apt-get install mysql-5.1-server should work, but I prefer to install from MySQL binaries.

Kyle,

Another thing I like to install on a Linux server is Webmin, just a preference of mine.

I always wanted to make a script file that could be copied to and ran from the CLI on a base install to build it just the way the last one was. Just not enough time…

Jim

I prefer the CLI.

As for the script, why not just image the drive and restore as need be?

Kyle,

I think I have taken this to far off topic, I am sorry. If the mods want to remove post’s not pertaining to your initial topic it is fine with me. We could then start another topic maybe on Linux tweaks for ignition.

Jim

Not a bad idea, Jim. Our linux install/upgrade/uninstall paradigms are pretty simplistic and I’m sure they would make any seasoned linux admin squirm. We certainly would like to work on this aspect: improving the experience and getting more in line with normal linux package management paradigms. Any suggestions, comments, hacks, and experience running on linux is useful feedback for us.

Hi,

I got problem installing ignition on ubuntu after following the steps listed in the this thread. We were stuck on:

Enable startup script

Code:
sudo update-rc.d ignition defaults

Where my server respond with File does not exist error.

I’ve attached a print screen, hope anyone can help on this.

Cheers,
support

I think something may have gone wrong with the creation of the symbolic link.

Could you post the output of the following commands:ls -l /opt/ignitionandls -l /etc/init.d/ignition