Group Design for Data Cache

Hello,

Sorry for the confusion. Even I had to double check the behavior of Stored Procedure groups in FactorySQL.

FactorySQL will cache stored procedure groups, if they do not have any SQL based action items, and no items linked to output parameters.

Currently, Ignition does not. This would be a defect in Ignition, because it should behave the same as FactorySQL, and there is no reason not to cache if there is no dependency on data from the database.

In FactorySQL, stored procedure groups do not support buffered execution. This means that the group may be blocked for some time (30 seconds usually in the worst case) before the data is diverted over to the data cache.

You can decide how to proceed based on this information. Going with historical groups in a table will let you use buffered execution and will work as-is today with Ignition. Going with Stored Procedure groups will be more direct, but will not have buffered execution, and will not act the same in Ignition as it is today. I’m sure we can get stored procedure groups to go through the store and forward system within the month or so (for 7.2), so since it seems that you will be using FactorySQL for a while longer, I wouldn’t base my decision completely on that. By the time you move to Ignition it should work correctly.

Hope this clears things up.

Regards,