Linux Native Client Launcher without nohup

I’m fighting with some more thin clients we got in for testing and evaluation, and found one that doesn’t have nohup. For those who don’t know what is nohup is, either did I until yesterday. It’s evidently pretty common in /usr/bin, part of coreutils, and is used for running applications that should ignore hangups so the program can run in the background without being affected by closed shell/terminal sessions.

The problem is my thin client doesn’t have it installed and it’s almost impossible to install it due to a locked down filesystem (WYSE’s Suse Linux Enterprise Thin Client OS) and all the damn dependencies, no package manager other than rpm, etc.

So, is there a way to have clientlauncher.sh run the java command WITHOUT nohup? If I remove the nohup from the launch command below, it works fine. I know this is a long-shot request for help :neutral_face:

Starting Java with the following parameters:nohup java -classpath /read-write/ignition_clientlauncher/clientlauncher-data/launchclient.jar -Djavaws.sr.gateway.addr.0=1.1.1.1:8088/main -Djavaws.sr.scope=C -Djavaws.sr.launchts=1398267098094 -Djavaws.sr.main=com.inductiveautomation.factorypmi.application.runtime.ClientLaunchHook -Dinitial.heap.size=32M -Dmax.heap.size=256M -Djava.vm.args="-XX:MaxPermSize=128m" -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false -Djavaws.sr.project=OperatorCycleTimer -Djavaws.sr.screen=0 com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.launch.BootstrapSwingFS &

Unfortunately, there is no easy answer for this one. The problem is that the Client Launcher process starts another Java process, which is the actual client. In Linux systems, both processes die as soon as the first one exits unless you use nohup. For your locked-down thin client, launching on the command line with a script (like in your example) may be the least painful way of doing it :frowning:

I found another version of SUSE Linux Enterprise Thin Client, extracted it, and grabbed the nohup file. I then found a directory on the filesystem that doesn’t get wiped out after reboot and put it in there. Modified $PATH to include the new directory with nohup, rebooted, and it worked!

Nice! :thumb_left: