Anyone interested in writing a module? tag change script

what we are looking to do is have some scripting calls to add or delete tags in the gateway tag change scripts. that way we can add or delete tags in the gateway tag change script using scripting inside of a client. Im not sure if this is possible but wanted to reach out to see if someone was interested in doing this.

pm me for any other details or to talk about payment details.

a little more info and a screenshot

We are on a quest to have the ability to add a device dynamically from a client. In order to do this we would need the ability to add a new tag into the gateway tag change scripts.

I was trying to get an idea on if some of my ideas are possible and if we had to pay to add this feature, what would it cost.

Essentially we just want to add a tag to an existing tag change script in the Gateway tag change scripts. My first thought was having the ability to build the tag list using a sql query.

My next thought is a scripting function that would add the tag to the existing list of tags for a specified script name. for instance, my tag change script name is update tags. The scripting function would be something like system.tagChange.addTag(‘update tags’, ‘400001/lastpolltime’). Where the 2 variables that we pass are the name of the tag change script to update and the name of the tag to add.

essentially I want to be able to add or delete a tag in the tag list in this screenshot from a client. whethere that be by managing the tags out of a table or by using a scripting call, it doesnt matter.

Diat, this is the exact same problem I have run into. I was going to bring this up at the conference with the developers if nobody beat me to it. There may be a way to access this list of tags that are being watched for a tag change, but if there is, it is not documented anywhere that I can find.

It would be nice if this were a bound list that could be changed programatically. I am guessing you are having to edit this manually, as I am, every time we add or delete an EFM. I am hoping that the developers’ mindset is leaning toward allowing virtually everything to be changed programmatically. In my opinion, if a property is exposed, or a component such at this list is used, it should allow software to alter it. If it doesn’t allow it, sooner or later guys like you and I are going to ask that it does. :laughing:

[quote=“RRRancher”]Diat, this is the exact same problem I have run into. I was going to bring this up at the conference with the developers if nobody beat me to it. There may be a way to access this list of tags that are being watched for a tag change, but if there is, it is not documented anywhere that I can find.

It would be nice if this were a bound list that could be changed programatically. I am guessing you are having to edit this manually, as I am, every time we add or delete an EFM. I am hoping that the developers’ mindset is leaning toward allowing virtually everything to be changed programmatically. In my opinion, if a property is exposed, or a component such at this list is used, it should allow software to alter it. If it doesn’t allow it, sooner or later guys like you and I are going to ask that it does. :laughing:[/quote]

yeah I put in a feature request for this. I also did get a response back from someone on here that said that they could write a module to add this feature for me, but I was kind of waiting on IA to see what they could do. If I remember correctly, they are maybe going to put tag change scripts on the tags themselves, which would work great.

Events on SQLTags is planned for 7.7. Hopefully you can accomplish what you need with that.

Sounds like it would work ok. Will definitely give it a shot when it becomes available. Thanks for the update, Kevin.

Kevin,

will we be able to call a script out of the script module? we have a 1000+ tags in the current tag change script module and each tag updates about once per hour. does that sound doable?

[quote=“diat150”]Kevin,

will we be able to call a script out of the script module? we have a 1000+ tags in the current tag change script module and each tag updates about once per hour. does that sound doable?[/quote]

No, tags don’t belong to a project, where as your tag change scripts most definitely do. Not to mention that the code belonging to tag change scripts isn’t a callable function of any sort.

We will, however, be introducing a globally scoped script module area. The tag change events will be able to call into these.

[quote=“Kevin.Herron”][quote=“diat150”]Kevin,

will we be able to call a script out of the script module? we have a 1000+ tags in the current tag change script module and each tag updates about once per hour. does that sound doable?[/quote]

No, tags don’t belong to a project, where as your tag change scripts most definitely do. Not to mention that the code belonging to tag change scripts isn’t a callable function of any sort.

We will, however, be introducing a globally scoped script module area. The tag change events will be able to call into these.[/quote]

Is that globally scoped script module going to be available when the tag events scripts come out in 7.7? As long as it can interface with the database thru the script module it should work for me.

[quote=“diat150”]
Is that globally scoped script module going to be available when the tag events scripts come out in 7.7? As long as it can interface with the database thru the script module it should work for me.[/quote]

Yes and yes :thumb_left: