Ubuntu 12.10 Oracle Java fails to start Ignition

I am currently unable to get Ignition to work with Oracle’s Java on Ubuntu 12.10.

It was installed using:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install oracle-java7-installer

I eventually managed to get javaws to produce some output by running /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-oracle/bin/ControlPanel and turning on logging and tracing (logs to ~/.java/deployment/logs/).

I am now getting the following trace:

java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: -8 at java.lang.String.substring(String.java:1911) at com.sun.deploy.util.Property.<init>(Unknown Source) at com.sun.deploy.util.Property.createProperty(Unknown Source) at com.sun.deploy.util.JVMParameters$ArgumentSet.addArgument(Unknown Source) at com.sun.deploy.util.JVMParameters.addArgumentImpl(Unknown Source) at com.sun.deploy.util.JVMParameters.parseImpl(Unknown Source) at com.sun.deploy.util.JVMParameters.parseTrustedOptions(Unknown Source) at com.sun.javaws.Main.initializeExecutionEnvironment(Unknown Source) at com.sun.javaws.Main.continueInSecureThread(Unknown Source) at com.sun.javaws.Main.access$000(Unknown Source) at com.sun.javaws.Main$1.run(Unknown Source) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:722)

I suspect that isn’t very helpful, but if anyone else has any pointers or can confirm that this does work on Ubuntu 12.10 somewhere that would be useful. OpenJDK 7 does work.

Thanks.

It’s a known regression with Oracle’s Java 7u9 on *nix systems. Nothing we can really do about it.

A temporary workaround is to edit the JNLP file and remove all the ‘java-vm-args="-XX:MaxPermSize=128m"’ parameters.

oracle.com/technetwork/java/ … 63279.html

I continue to be impressed by Inductive’s technical support.

I was able to get this working by downloading the jar file referenced in the JNLP (/main/system/launchbin/launchclient.jar) and then running it manually using:

java -cp ~/launchclient.jar 
    -Djavaws.sr.gateway.addr.0=dms.datacap.co.uk:8088:8043/main 
    -Djavaws.sr.launchts=1354613464838                                      
    -Djavaws.sr.scope=D 
    -Djavaws.sr.main=com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.DesignerStartupHook 
    -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false                                      
    -Djavaws.sr.memory.init=64M                           
    -Djavaws.sr.memory.max=512M 
    com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.launch.BootstrapSwing

Thanks.