Java Error: Failed to validate certificate

Failed to validate certificate. The application will not be executed.
java.security.cert.CertificateException: java.security.cert.CertPathValidatorException: java.security.InvalidKeyException: Wrong key usage

I received this error on a few of my machines after upgrading to 7.4.2 yesterday. Some are running java 6.18 up through 7.04. The only fix seems to be uninstalling java and reinstalling. I tried deleting the cache and the stored certificates but it did not work.

Has any one seen this before or know of a proper fix?

Well, we updated the cert for java web start on 7.4, but only a very few customers are seeing this. Not sure what’s causing it. Which cache did you delete?

I have seen the same thing at some of my client computers.
Downloading and installing the most recent version of Java seems to fix the issue.

I’m not certain, but I think it’s only happening on the machines where I set up a direct link shortcut, as described in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=4919

Carl, do you think that direct link shortcut could be the issue?

Cas

I doubt it has anything to do with the direct link. It is something with Java’s cache. Did you try deleting Java’s cache?

No, I’m not at the client’s location anymore, so the simpler thing to ask them to try was the update of Java. That worked, so I moved on to other things…

Open the Java Control Panel:

1. Go to Start menu Start Configure Java
  2. Go to the Advanced tab > Security > General.
  3. Uncheck the option: "Enable online certificate validation".
  4. Check the option: "Enable list of trusted publishers".
1 Like