Problem starting Ignition service with GCU

I have a problem starting Ignition service with the Gateway Control Utility. When I launch it, opens a black window (as normal) but it closed suddenly without open the launcher or start the service. The only way to start Ignition is stpping manually the service in windows. I have installed Ignition in a pc with Windows XP and m using Java 1.6.0_29.

Can anybody help me?

Sam

You don’t necessarily need the GCU to restart the Ignition service. If you are comfortable with the command line, you can also open a command window and type in these commands:

net stop ignition
net start ignition

That being said, the GCU should still open without issues. Which version of Ignition are you using? Another thing to try is to open a command window, navigate to the Ignition installation folder and run:

launch-gcu.bat and see if any errors come out.

I had 7.2.6 installed but recently moved to 7.3.1. Now the only problem is when I open the gcu the service doesn’t start as normal. Why is this happening?

Keep in mind that the act of opening the GCU by itself is not enough to start the Ignition service. You have to click on the green “Play” icon in the upper right corner to actually start the service.

I would like to know why, when I open the GCU, the service start automatically in others pc’s. How can I configure my pc so the service starts automatically just opening the GCU?

How about configuring it without the GCU?

Open the services control panel by running services.msc:

Make sure that the “Ignition Gateway” item is set to “Automatic” startup:

I’m not 100% sure of this, but I would guess that the Ignition service is set to run automatically when Windows starts. You can confirm this by opening “services” under “administrative tools” in the Control Panel. This allows you to manually start or stop the service and set the startup type. “Automatic” starts with windows, “manual” doesn’t start, “disabled” disables it. You should be able to verify what is going on by opening the “Ignition” service in that tool.

gbuehler - you beat me to it (and did a better job with the screenshots).

Hello,

I think a better question would be: what stops Ignition service in the PC? everyday I have to reboot the system in order to start the service.

Thanks for your help?

Normally, once a service is running, it never stops unless the program crashes or someone stops the service manually. You might want to check your wrapper.log in the logs folder and look for some error messages. Also, maybe some script is running somewhere that is shutting down your service?

Hello,

I don’t have any script sopping the service and nobody stops the service manually. In the wrapper there’s a line that repeats a lot:

INFO   | jvm 5    | 2012/04/18 07:10:33 | java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
INFO   | jvm 5    | 2012/04/18 07:10:41 | ERROR [BasicExecutionEngine          ] [07:10:41,250]: One-shot task com.inductiveautomation.xopc.client.sropc.UAServer$3@12916d6 threw uncaught exception.
INFO   | jvm 5    | 2012/04/18 07:10:41 | java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
INFO   | jvm 5    | 2012/04/18 07:10:46 | ERROR [BasicExecutionEngine          ] [07:10:46,015]: One-shot task com.inductiveautomation.xopc.client.sropc.UAServer$3@9556e3 threw uncaught exception.
INFO   | jvm 5    | 2012/04/18 07:10:46 | java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

May be is the OPC UA server having problems. Is this possible?

[quote=“SamJaimes”]Hello,

I don’t have any script sopping the service and nobody stops the service manually. In the wrapper there’s a line that repeats a lot:

INFO   | jvm 5    | 2012/04/18 07:10:33 | java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
INFO   | jvm 5    | 2012/04/18 07:10:41 | ERROR [BasicExecutionEngine          ] [07:10:41,250]: One-shot task com.inductiveautomation.xopc.client.sropc.UAServer$3@12916d6 threw uncaught exception.
INFO   | jvm 5    | 2012/04/18 07:10:41 | java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
INFO   | jvm 5    | 2012/04/18 07:10:46 | ERROR [BasicExecutionEngine          ] [07:10:46,015]: One-shot task com.inductiveautomation.xopc.client.sropc.UAServer$3@9556e3 threw uncaught exception.
INFO   | jvm 5    | 2012/04/18 07:10:46 | java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

May be is the OPC UA server having problems. Is this possible?[/quote]

Well, what that indicates is that the UA server is having some kind of problem because your gateway has run out of memory…

Can you call support today and let them look around?

ok I will do that

Thanks! The problem was solved just upgrading to Ignition 7.3.6