OPC-UA device now disconnected

I updated my Ignition to 7.2.4 Tues. System ran fine until sometime early this morning or last night. Now my OPC-UA Device being a controllogix has stopped and is showing ‘Disconnected’. I can ping the device, it’s there. I also have RSLinx Gateway running on this machine and it sees it with no problems as I am programming through it now from a remote machine.
I stopped the Ignition service, restarted, that did nothing. I tried creating a new ‘device’, using the same addy. It shows same status. Also deleted the 2 devices and recreated and same response. Nothing unusual shows up in the console either. Also rebooted the server…
Need some suggestions soon…

Am back ‘Connected’ again. Modified the Comm Timeout to 5 secs from the original 2 and it took off.

Problem has returned again and have tried many options. The device simply will not connect. Will resort to using RSLinx Gateway to get me to the processor for now, until I can get some suggestions on how to over come this.

The AB PLCs are limited in the number of concurrent connections they can support.

We ran into an issue in a mixed scada environment where the connection limits were hit. Once the limit was hit, disconnecting and reconnecting the ethernet would not restore communications. It took cycling power on the PLC. The PLC could be pinged but would not respond otherwise. Once the connections were established they were not timing out and being torn down.

If memory serves correctly the Controllogix supported 64 connections of one type and 64 connections of another type.

The Compactlogix L23E only supported 16 connections. We ended up having to change to a larger controller to get around the 16 connection limit.

You also need to look at the main task in the PLC. If it is a continuous task, you might want to change it to a cyclic task of say 10 msec. This could give the communications in the PLC some breathing room. Communications may need a larger time slice than it is getting with a continuous task.

When you define a device you can specify the number of concurrent requests. It defaults to 1. I’d leave it there until you can look at what the PLC is seeing.

I am by no means an expert at AB, just relating some experiences.

Dennis

They are in fact limited to 256 total, but 64 per interface card at least that’s what they used to be. I have only 1 maybe 2 connections on this particular ENBT and maybe a total of 20 for the entire processor. But I will cycle power on it just for grins, hadn’t done that yet.
Thanks for the input though!

Well cycling power didn’t work either. Have Ignition installed in 2 other locations and have never had a problem with the default configuration.

OK, need some help now. Just lost comms at another plant this morning and can’t get it to reconnect either… Both are running 7.2.4

Did you try changing the comm timeout?

I am not thinking about the value as much as the fact that changing it before started comms back up.

There might be something in the initialization process that is resetting things, for a while.

Dennis

The moderators will have to answer this one:

Can he load the AB module from 7.2.3 (released) and the system still work?

In other words, is the protocol between the gateway and the driver constant at this point so a previous version of the driver could be loaded?

Thanks

Dennis

[quote=“DennisWomack”]The moderators will have to answer this one:

Can he load the AB module from 7.2.3 (released) and the system still work?

In other words, is the protocol between the gateway and the driver constant at this point so a previous version of the driver could be loaded?

Thanks

Dennis[/quote]

No, I’m pretty sure we changed the framework version at 7.2.4. A module written for 7.2.3 won’t work in 7.2.4.

Jon, if you go to Configure > System > Console < Levels Tab and search for ControlLogix you should see a logger named “ControlLogixDriver.[whatever_your_device_name_is]”. Turn that to DEBUG and let it try and connect for a minute or two and then email the wrapper.log files to support. The log files will be in the Ignition install directory.

Alternatively, you could call into support and they could probably figure out what’s going on pretty quick.

have tried changing the timeout, stopping the gateway service, deleting and recreating another with a new name, nothing. This machine here also has RSLinx Gateway running and no problems. Will try turning on the log now.

OK, here are the responses received in debug mode.
New Text Document (4).txt (2.63 KB)

Jon - Whatever came of this issue? Was it solved, and if so, how? We have been having the same issue with a Micro 1100 (over ethernet) losing its connection. When I go in and modify the timeout time it works for a while, then stops. To get it going again we need to disable/re-enable the driver and then it works again until it decides to stop again. Driver doesn’t seem to poll on its own, not sure though if that’s only after a timeout, or randomly. Feedback on how you fixed your dilemma would be helpful for us, too.
Thanks.

I need to bring this problem back up again. Due to plant startups and other things, this slipped into the background.
This issue has never been resolved. I have 3 plants running Ignition. Two are running RSLinx Gateway to retrieve data. The last one that was still using your OPC-UA Controllogix driver went belly up yesterday after upgrading to version 7.2.7. I have tried deleting and recreating the connection and even a totally new one but none work. Strangely enough I have another connection to a different Controllogix processor in the same chassis and it survived the upgrade.
The other plants that died months ago have been using RSLinx Gateway without a hitch. I still have your OPC-UA driver setup and monitor it occasionally. The connection comes and goes periodically. I would like to eliminate RSLinx, but quite frankly am afraid of the stability. I would like to get this resolved as we have a fourth plant under construction now and it will be utilizing the same reporting system.

[quote=“Jon.Trusik”]I need to bring this problem back up again. Due to plant startups and other things, this slipped into the background.
This issue has never been resolved. I have 3 plants running Ignition. Two are running RSLinx Gateway to retrieve data. The last one that was still using your OPC-UA Controllogix driver went belly up yesterday after upgrading to version 7.2.7. I have tried deleting and recreating the connection and even a totally new one but none work. Strangely enough I have another connection to a different Controllogix processor in the same chassis and it survived the upgrade.
The other plants that died months ago have been using RSLinx Gateway without a hitch. I still have your OPC-UA driver setup and monitor it occasionally. The connection comes and goes periodically. I would like to eliminate RSLinx, but quite frankly am afraid of the stability. I would like to get this resolved as we have a fourth plant under construction now and it will be utilizing the same reporting system.[/quote]

So it’s still not connected right now? Can you call into support and have us take a look?

What time is best for you?

The support line is always open! Except for when it’s not… :slight_smile:

However, Tom, our resident CLX expert, will be available at either 11:00a or 1:00p PST and afterwards today. Might be best to call in at that time.

OK, I’ll try to do 11am your time, I’m 5 hrs ahead of you, am in Brazil.

Discovered it is related to the Rockwell App “Logix CPU Security Tool” We secure our L61 data concentrators in the plants with this. For the time being, as a work around we’ll leave the processors unsecured. Thanks to Tom for his assistance in discovering this.