ActiveX module in Ignition 7.6

Hi guys.

I use IE ActiveX component in my project. We are on the deadline and I want to use 7.6 version. But after instalation the state of the ActiveX module is Faulted. It’s version is 2.6.0(b142).
In dowload section I can’t find ActiveX module for Ignition 7.6.

Maybe version 7.6 does not support ActiveX?

P.S.
In 7.5.8 version ActiveX module state is Loaded.

Same problem here…
everything worked fine till upgrade.
Error is “Module “ActiveX” (expecting FrameworkVersion=4) is incompatible with this version of Ignition (FrameworkVersion=5). Upgrade required.

Sorry,

viewtopic.php?f=72&t=9957&hilit=ActiveX

[quote=“DennisWomack”]Sorry,

viewtopic.php?f=72&t=9957&hilit=ActiveX[/quote]
I can’t understand…

What is the entire stack trace of the error message. On the details tab you will see a "full " link a the bottom of the popup. this will show the entire stack trace. Also, keep in mind that we no longer include the active X module with Ignition because of how poorly activex technology interacts with Java, and we only provide limited support because of that.

Greg Simpson
Inductive Automation
Technical Support Rep

Ok, I full agree with your thoughts on ActiveX, we choosed them only to integrate a Browser inside a an Ignition page. With version 7.5 worked fine.
Any alternative ideas?
Thanks

Re: A Better Browser™
tailfire wrote:
Kevin.Herron wrote:
tailfire wrote:

code.google.com/p/jbrowser/

have a look at it, it sounds similar to the others…
I could be misunderstanding what it does also…

Yeah, different projects. Not sure if we’ve looked at that one before, but after a quick look I can see that it requires native libraries, which probably ruled it out if we did see it. I’ll ask around tomorrow and see.

The native libraries mentioned above…Would this be the xulrunner?

Yeah.

Kevin Herron
Software Developer
Inductive Automation

Some Commercial Swing Java component exists for browser integration.
webrenderer.com

Jexplorer or JxBrower
teamdev.com

If it can be integrated with the vision SDK, :scratch: a module providing a java browser will be very usefull.

Hi everyone!

The entire stack trace of the error message:

com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.xmlserialization.SerializationException: Unexpected parsing error during binary deserialization.
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.xmlserialization.deserialization.XMLDeserializer.deserializeBinary(XMLDeserializer.java:322)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.xmlserialization.deserialization.XMLDeserializer.deserialize(XMLDeserializer.java:233)
at com.inductiveautomation.factorypmi.application.model.WindowCache._deserializeWindow(WindowCache.java:277)
at com.inductiveautomation.factorypmi.application.model.WindowCache._loadWindow(WindowCache.java:216)
at com.inductiveautomation.factorypmi.application.model.WindowCache.openWindow(WindowCache.java:435)
at com.inductiveautomation.factorypmi.application.FPMIApp$RuntimeWindowOpener.openWindow(FPMIApp.java:1553)
at com.inductiveautomation.factorypmi.application.FPMIApp.openWindow(FPMIApp.java:922)
at com.inductiveautomation.factorypmi.application.FPMIApp.openWindow(FPMIApp.java:914)
at com.inductiveautomation.factorypmi.application.FPMIApp.startup(FPMIApp.java:780)
at com.inductiveautomation.factorypmi.application.runtime.ClientPanel$11$1.run(ClientPanel.java:624)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.access$200(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.security.ProtectionDomain$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: org.apache.commons.io.IOExceptionWithCause: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.inductiveautomation.vision.activex.components.IEBrowserComponent
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.xmlserialization.encoding.Decoders$ClassDecoder.binaryToObject(Decoders.java:366)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.xmlserialization.encoding.Decoders$ClassDecoder.binaryToObject(Decoders.java:348)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.xmlserialization.deserialization.BinaryParser.readAttributes(BinaryParser.java:179)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.xmlserialization.deserialization.BinaryParser.readElement(BinaryParser.java:148)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.xmlserialization.deserialization.BinaryParser.readElement(BinaryParser.java:157)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.xmlserialization.deserialization.BinaryParser.readElement(BinaryParser.java:157)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.xmlserialization.deserialization.BinaryParser.parse(BinaryParser.java:51)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.xmlserialization.deserialization.XMLDeserializer.deserializeBinary(XMLDeserializer.java:313)
… 23 more
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.inductiveautomation.vision.activex.components.IEBrowserComponent
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
at java.lang.Class.forName(Unknown Source)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.xmlserialization.ClassNameResolver.classForNameImpl(ClassNameResolver.java:205)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.xmlserialization.ClassNameResolver.classForName(ClassNameResolver.java:177)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.xmlserialization.encoding.Decoders$ClassDecoder.binaryToObject(Decoders.java:364)
… 33 more

Ignition v7.6.0 (b1875)
Java: Oracle Corporation 1.7.0_21

I understand the fact that it is no longer supported, but like the others said, if I already have an ActiveX implemented in my project, I would expect to be able to use it moving forward… What is the Inductive Automation’s official/recommended solution for having a web page displayed in a window?

I have a project in which we told the customer we can have a web page displayed (because ActiveX worked in 7.5.6), but now 7.6 doesn’t work. The customer also wants the latest version of Ignition 7.6 so installing the old one is not a viable solution.

We’re working on getting ActiveX to work in 7.6, but I would strongly advise anybody to NOT make promises to customers that hinge upon the ActiveX module. We don’t support it, and frankly, we hate everything about it and we’re porting it to 7.6 kicking and screaming.

I’d like to integrate one of the commercial browser components in (webrenderer or jxbrowser) but they involve fairly substantial licensing fees on our end, and every time I ask people if they’d pay for a better browser module nobody responds. So how about it: who would pay for a browser component module?

it all depends on the cost. a couple hundred bucks and I am sure not many people would mind. if it si 1000 bucks, then maybe some people would buck. we only use the active x for mapping, so we could say its for a mapping module, which sounds better I guess.

It would probably be about $500 due to the licensing that it costs us.

I hope more people chime in on this module. Would be very useful.

Would it work for IA to have a separate module for the browser that would make it optional (not included in the “standard” license)? That way, if people don’t want it, they don’t have to have it. Would that increase the price, if you make it optional?

For right now, while a “perfect” solution is sought, it would be great if you can make ActiveX work again, at least there would be something to fall back on that would display a webpage. I appreciate your help with this.

I understand what you are saying about making promises that rely on ActiveX, but if it is very important for a customer to display webpages and they ask if it can be done in Ignition, shouldn’t I say that there is a way to do it since I am (now “was”) able to do it?

+1 for a separate module : native java browser
An unique cost for all the client of a Gateway.

It would be a separate, optional module. And yes, I can understand why you’d use the ActiveX module (you had no choice), but by doing so you have to understand what “unsupported” means, and one of the things that it means (besides us having no way to help you if the ActiveX module is responsible for crashing your clients) is that there will be a lag for it being available for new versions.

Be forewarned: if (when?) we make a real browser module - the ActiveX module will go away.

Thank you for the response Carl and for the clarification. Would you be able at this point to estimate how much of a lag you it will be before ActiveX (at least the browser portion) starts working with the new version?

It shouldn’t be too long, maybe next week.

Excellent! Thank you!