Is Ignition an OPC-server?

Hi all,
I have to ask if ignition is an OPC-UA server or it is only an aggregator of different kinds of data acquisition systems?
finally I can’t find any information about that but I’m not sure.

thanks in advance to anyone will help me understand

The information you're looking for is available here. Ignition OPC-UA is an OPC-UA server. It currently supports various AB Ethernet, Modbus Ethernet, and simulator drivers, plus an SDK for developers to write their own in Java. The product is totally free except for OEM applications. You just request a CD key online to activate each copy.

Taking a step back, the Ignition platform, of which Ignition OPC-UA is a free module, is a web based industrial application server. All the various modules (OPC-UA, SQL Bridge, Vision, OPC-COM, Reporting, etc) provide services that cover the category of an aggregator of industrial data. These products, which vary in price and purpose, cover the spectrum of industrial applications, ranging from: SCADA to HMI to reporting to alerting to Historian datalogging to batching to ... name your automation related application.

So with the default configuration the opc server is up?
because with a generic OPC client such as Matrikon Explorer or ProSys OPC Client I can’t open a connection :scratch:

there is some specification I did not understand?

thanks

[quote=“skiat”]So with the default configuration the opc server is up?
because with a generic OPC client such as Matrikon Explorer or ProSys OPC Client I can’t open a connection :scratch:

there is some specification I did not understand?

thanks[/quote]

Well first you should be sure that you are trying to connect via OPC-UA and not OPC-DA. After that it’s just a question of configuration…

The Ignition OPC-UA server runs on port 4096 by default. If you change nothing, it only accepts connections protected by a username/password that defaults to opcuauser/password. Have you tried configuring the clients to use this username/password OR allowing anonymous access in the Ignition OPC-UA server settings?

Are there any log messages from the other client programs?

Ok now with a UA client the server is found :wink: but it still not listing the SQLTags…
I want to provide OPC tags getting data from a database, how can I do this?

Thanks in advance

Sorry for the confusion, BUT- Ignition is an OPC server, but currently only for device drivers. That is, it’s not currently possible to expose SQLTags through OPC.

Writing a driver that exposed database data wouldn’t be too hard using the SDK, but we also think that something like this might be a good feature.

Regards,

So if I understand this, the server currently exposes only those tags that the client knows about. ie: the tags returned by the drivers.

That is correct.