IDE Integration for scripting

It would be good to have some sort of IDE integration or more features added into the existing code editor.

I have a bunch of scripts that are a few hundred lines long and when i am troubleshooting, following if/else/for statements, etc… it gets tough to see where they start/end, etc…

It would be cool to have at least some of the basic IDE functionality added or to have the ability to link an existing IDE to ignition.

right now I’m using my favorite IDE and then moving the scripts over which is a pain because i don’t have the tag links, etc… but not the end of the world.

Hi drewdin,

In Ignition 7.7 you no longer need to write or have your long scripts in the Ignition Designer.

You can use your favorite Python text editor or IDE and keep your code there in your Python files, out of the Ignition Designer - no copy and pasting.

Just create Python files outside of Ignition, stick them in the user-lib/pylib/ directory and use them in Ignition where you need them.

For example, let’s say I have a Python module file called nicktest.py that is located here: /var/lib/ignition/user-lib/pylib/nicktest.py

I could then use that module anywhere in Ignition like so:

import nicktest
arg1 = 4
arg2 = 5
nicktest.myfunctioncall(arg1, arg2)

More information about this can be found here: perfectabstractions.com/blog … on-modules

I understand about not having tag path/link functionality and such in your IDE, because it is an Ignition specific thing.

Best,

1 Like

Awesome, ill have to check it out. Unfortunately I haven’t upgraded yet, still stuck on 7.6.4 :frowning: