Iphone and Ignition

Guys what would be the best method to view an Ignition installation with an Iphone? VNC into server?

thanks

hazey

I’ve tested w/ RDP into a Windows Server.

VNC/RDP is currently the only way.

In case your next words are: “Isn’t there anything better?” - don’t worry, we’ve heard this request loud and clear, and are working on plans to accommodate mobile access in a more first-class manner.

Nice!

Android support too perhaps? :slight_smile:

Nice!! Cant wait to have an ignition client running on my N1. I was thinking of building a module to do this as I believe the main issue right now is java.swing is available in J2SE, but not J2ME right. Also, J2ME does not support web launch.

Android, however, is based on Java. Shouldnt be too hard right?

The technology choice is still in play, but it looks like straight HTML + ajax would be the best choice for the types of projects people want to access on mobile devices, and this way all of the popular mobile/smartphone platforms will work well.

[quote="Kyle Chase"]Nice!! Cant wait to have an ignition client running on my N1. I was thinking of building a module to do this as I believe the main issue right now is java.swing is available in J2SE, but not J2ME right. Also, J2ME does not support web launch.

Android, however, is based on Java. Shouldnt be too hard right?[/quote]N1 = Nexus One? How do you like it? I'm currently holding out for the HTC EVO 4G ...

I actually just bought an Android book last week ... a couple of friends and I are planning on developing an application. Android runs on top of the Dalvik Virtual Machine, (I believe a modified version). As you'll see in the Wikipedia link ...

Carl, I think you're correct in going with a strictly HTML/AJAX approach ... probably the safest approach considering the amount of mobile platforms available and upcoming, (iPhone OS, Android, Windows Phone 7, webOS, Symbian^3, MeeGo, etc).

Yeah, I think so too, and I think that its capabilities are only going to get better in the coming years (HTML5/canvas element specifically)

do you have a projected launch date for smartphone capability?

Probably around 1st qtr 2011

Here’s a tease for all of you waiting on the mobile module. Enjoy! :smiling_imp:

any release date yet? do these windows have to be setup separately from your normal project windows?

We don’t have an exact release date, but it will be early in the first quarter. Putting it a different way, we have the sales people asking us every day when they can sell it, and we’re basically ready to tell them to go for it.

You won’t have to re-write your projects. It will work with the projects you already have- though we suspect that it will be common to create side “mobile” projects that are a bit more optimized for the screen size, and what people want to see/do when using their phones. But, the important point is: it will just be a normal Vision project.

Since everyone is going to ask this: it’s not a native Android/iPhone app. Instead, it’s a web application optimized for those phones- but compatible with any HTML5 compliant mobile browser. This means iPad and likely Windows 7 mobile (as well as the next-gen blackberrys, from what we can tell). The fact that it’s not a compiled app for those phones may seem like a disadvantage, but reserve judgment until you’ve tried it- everyone has been blown away so far.

ok next question, do you need a beta tester?

Yes, we do need beta testers. 7.2 (and the Mobile Module) should be up for beta soon.

Would this work with a motorola mc75a? Or what software and or operating system would be required in a mobile device.? The mc75 a can be a barcode scanner/cell phone/ ip phone/ etc, but it can be holstered into a frame and works well as an industrial barcode scanner.

where can I download the beta once it comes out?

It requires a modern mobile web browser.

Translation:
IOS (Iphone, ITouch, IPad), Android, or Blackberry OS 6 web browsers.

Even the new Windows Phone 7 is not modern enough since it does not support HTML 5.
html5trends.com/browsers/win … 5-not-yet/