7.5 on ubuntu 10.10

I cannot seem to find the init.d file in the etc directory. java install seemed to go okay, and so far the
igntion has too. im stuck. any help or info? i must have missed something or the file should be
there.? I wanted to try the new Mint “maya” first but when i installed it, I had really poor performance,
so i couldnt try Igntion.

I'm guessing you're at the part in the guide where you're trying to symlink Ignition into init.d? All services have a script file stored in the directory init.d.

If you're newer to linux, I'd suggest reinstalling linux to a base install and doing the following:

then add these lines to the end of the file:

deb http://archive.inductiveautomation.com/apt ignition non-free
deb http://archive.inductiveautomation.com/apt ignition-beta non-free

finally, do the actual install

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ignition

There’s a graphical installer for linux now too… pretty handy.

which one is it? I havent used linux i a while but I am dusting it back off because of ignition.
I will atill work on the steps in the above post because I need practice.
I am also motivated because we use some of this hardware at work:
advantech.com/embcore/linux.aspx

thanks for the reply’s

It’s the .run files on the downloads page, “Ignition - Linux Installer 32-bit” and “Ignition - Linux Installer 64-bit”

cool i had downloaded that one too

I got it running this evening! I have a few more questions . will post tomorrow.

I ended up using linux mint 9 lxde. works great for quick boot and lightweight. the .run
installer worked great also.

Any reason you’re using such an old version of Linux? I doubt you will get any support for Mint 9. If you are constrained by limited hardware, why not try an up-to-date version of a lighter distro like Lubuntu 12.04? This also uses the lighter LXDE desktop.

Mint 9 also had the jre from sun already installed. I can sure try the lubuntu, my constraint is hardware though that
is for sure.

Lubuntu is very light and is actively supported.

Regarding the JRE, I don’t know what the ‘correct’ version to use is now :frowning: The old version 6 ‘Sun’ version is no longer being developed; the ‘official’ version 7 is the OpenJDK one (but I don’t know if this works 100% with Ignition); and there is also an Oracle version 7.

If anyone from Inductive reads this is would be nice to get a definitive answer.

It turns out Linux Mint 9 was an LTS (Long Term Support) version, so it is supported until April 2013.

Lubuntu 12.04 is an not an LTS (Long Term Support) release, which means it will only be supported for 18 moths.

I am not necessarily as worried that much about the LTS, as I am
reliability/boot time/ resource consumption/ SUN java already being installed.

We use openjdk7 with Ubuntu 12.04 and we have no issues whatsoever.