It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:53 pm

Talking to a MicroLogix 1200 
Captain
Captain

Post Talking to a MicroLogix 1200
I need to get some data from a MicroLogix 1200 CPU.
I understand that network cards are not availible, but that there exists a RS232-Ethernet/IP converter (1761-NET-ENI)

Is this supported by the Ignition driver?
If so, will tag browsing be supported?
From other forum posts i see that there are alternatives to the 1761-NET-ENI. Are anyone recommended over others?

Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:44 pm
Profile WWW
General
General

Post Re: Talking to a MicroLogix 1200
pat.stave wrote:
I need to get some data from a MicroLogix 1200 CPU.
I understand that network cards are not availible, but that there exists a RS232-Ethernet/IP converter (1761-NET-ENI)

Is this supported by the Ignition driver?
If so, will tag browsing be supported?
From other forum posts i see that there are alternatives to the 1761-NET-ENI. Are anyone recommended over others?

I was able to connect to a micrologix 1200 using a net eni with ignition. I cant recall if browsing was supported but I dont think that it was, I may be wrong though.

I hate the net-eni, so I would look to use a digi one iap or lantronix xpress dr to convert to ethernet/ip. I cant say if this would work with ignition though, maybe Ill try it when I get a chance.

At the very least, if you do use the net-eni, run the power thru one of the open relay outputs on the 1200, then set up some type of watchdog logic that will toggle the output to reboot the net eni when it locks up. those things are notorious for locking up.

Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:08 pm
Captain
Captain

Thank you diat150,

I have ordered the Digi one IAP as it was availible from a vendor here in Norway.
Will make a post here about how it works out.

This is my first experience with Allen Bradley. I ordered the software (RSLogix 5000 and 500) today, and that was the most complicated structured and most expensive software i have ever ordered :lol: Even worse than Siemens!

Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:05 am
Profile WWW
General
General

pat.stave wrote:
Thank you diat150,

I have ordered the Digi one IAP as it was availible from a vendor here in Norway.
Will make a post here about how it works out.

This is my first experience with Allen Bradley. I ordered the software (RSLogix 5000 and 500) today, and that was the most complicated structured and most expensive software i have ever ordered :lol: Even worse than Siemens!

yeah we just get the automation toolkit from rockwell. it costs a few thousand a year but it covers every piece of software available. as an integrator having customers running multiple version, it makes the most sense.

let me know how the 1200 with the digi works out. worst comes to worst the digi can also convert the ab protocol to modbus, which you could talk to with the ignition modbus driver. the digi is a really slick device.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:08 am
Captain
Captain

Ok, so i have received the Digi One IAP :)

Great little device with one DB9 RS232 port, and one terminal block with RS232/485. (Two ports can be used simultaniously.)
An added bonus is the device can be powered over ethernet (PoE).

Setting the network settings was a breeze once i had downloaded the Digi tool for this (no CD included).
The web interface is quite clumsy and unorganized (so are the manuals), but that beeing said, it allows for a wast amount of custom configuration and possibilites.

Using an integrated wizard in the web interface i configured one DF1 master on port 2 (DB9), and enabled incoming AB-ethernet, Ethernet/IP and modbus.

I ordered mini-din connectors to make the serial cable myself, but it turns out the Micrologix connector is non-standard proprietary coding. The standard mini-din can be filed to fit, but it will fit very loosely. I ended up using the original 1761-cbl-pm02 cable.

Once i had all the configuration in the web interface correct (made some mistakes on the first try), Ignition connected with no problem using EIP protocol.
Auto-discovery of the PLC files also works, although symbol names will not show as they are not stored in the MicroLogix CPU.

If i disconnect the serial cable, but leave ethernet plugged in, Ignition wil show an error in the tag status and connection status as "disconnected" (correct behaviour).

I am also able to connect via RSLinx / RsLogix simultaniously (you have to use AB ethernet driver in RSLinx for this to work).

All in all, a pretty much painless experience :D

Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:58 pm
Profile WWW
General
General

great. I figured it would work with no issues.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:25 am