Talking to a MicroLogix 1200

I need to get some data from a MicroLogix 1200 CPU.
I understand that network cards are not availible, but that there exists a RS232-Ethernet/IP converter (1761-NET-ENI)

Is this supported by the Ignition driver?
If so, will tag browsing be supported?
From other forum posts i see that there are alternatives to the 1761-NET-ENI. Are anyone recommended over others?

[quote=“pat.stave”]I need to get some data from a MicroLogix 1200 CPU.
I understand that network cards are not availible, but that there exists a RS232-Ethernet/IP converter (1761-NET-ENI)

Is this supported by the Ignition driver?
If so, will tag browsing be supported?
From other forum posts i see that there are alternatives to the 1761-NET-ENI. Are anyone recommended over others?[/quote]

I was able to connect to a micrologix 1200 using a net eni with ignition. I cant recall if browsing was supported but I dont think that it was, I may be wrong though.

I hate the net-eni, so I would look to use a digi one iap or lantronix xpress dr to convert to ethernet/ip. I cant say if this would work with ignition though, maybe Ill try it when I get a chance.

At the very least, if you do use the net-eni, run the power thru one of the open relay outputs on the 1200, then set up some type of watchdog logic that will toggle the output to reboot the net eni when it locks up. those things are notorious for locking up.

Thank you diat150,

I have ordered the Digi one IAP as it was availible from a vendor here in Norway.
Will make a post here about how it works out.

This is my first experience with Allen Bradley. I ordered the software (RSLogix 5000 and 500) today, and that was the most complicated structured and most expensive software i have ever ordered :laughing: Even worse than Siemens!

[quote=“pat.stave”]Thank you diat150,

I have ordered the Digi one IAP as it was availible from a vendor here in Norway.
Will make a post here about how it works out.

This is my first experience with Allen Bradley. I ordered the software (RSLogix 5000 and 500) today, and that was the most complicated structured and most expensive software i have ever ordered :laughing: Even worse than Siemens![/quote]

yeah we just get the automation toolkit from rockwell. it costs a few thousand a year but it covers every piece of software available. as an integrator having customers running multiple version, it makes the most sense.

let me know how the 1200 with the digi works out. worst comes to worst the digi can also convert the ab protocol to modbus, which you could talk to with the ignition modbus driver. the digi is a really slick device.

Ok, so i have received the Digi One IAP :slight_smile:

Great little device with one DB9 RS232 port, and one terminal block with RS232/485. (Two ports can be used simultaniously.)
An added bonus is the device can be powered over ethernet (PoE).

Setting the network settings was a breeze once i had downloaded the Digi tool for this (no CD included).
The web interface is quite clumsy and unorganized (so are the manuals), but that beeing said, it allows for a wast amount of custom configuration and possibilites.

Using an integrated wizard in the web interface i configured one DF1 master on port 2 (DB9), and enabled incoming AB-ethernet, Ethernet/IP and modbus.

I ordered mini-din connectors to make the serial cable myself, but it turns out the Micrologix connector is non-standard proprietary coding. The standard mini-din can be filed to fit, but it will fit very loosely. I ended up using the original 1761-cbl-pm02 cable.

Once i had all the configuration in the web interface correct (made some mistakes on the first try), Ignition connected with no problem using EIP protocol.
Auto-discovery of the PLC files also works, although symbol names will not show as they are not stored in the MicroLogix CPU.

If i disconnect the serial cable, but leave ethernet plugged in, Ignition wil show an error in the tag status and connection status as “disconnected” (correct behaviour).

I am also able to connect via RSLinx / RsLogix simultaniously (you have to use AB ethernet driver in RSLinx for this to work).

All in all, a pretty much painless experience :smiley:

great. I figured it would work with no issues.

Sorry to revive an old post, but I need to do this exact thing and am having no luck. ML 1200 with Digi-One IAP and newest Ignition release.

I noted a previous user was successful with EIP; however, the options I have are the various Allen Bradley family (SLC, PLC, Micro, CLX).

When trying to connect using the SLC protocol or Micro protocol I get stuck on ‘Determine Protocol’ but can’t get any further. RSLix can see it fine.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

John

I have been trying to configure three Digi One IAPs to communication with a SLC 5/04 for the last three days. Was able to get one unit to communicate for a day or so, then it lost its configuration when I connected the second unit to the same power supply to configure it (SLC P2 rack 24VDC power, probably not a good choice, don’t do this!). Installed a SOLA 24 VDC power supply, powered the units back up, was finally able to get the second unit to commuicate, no luck with the first. The 3rd unit, new out of the box, configured in an identical manner, refuses to communicate.

Tried configuration with 3 different computers, tried two separate PLCs, two versions of RSLinx on two separate laptops, three ethernet configurations (crossover direct, non-cross over direct, going through a router), and of course, a better power supply, no success with the third out of the box unit, nor could I get the first unit to come back to life.

There are only a few things to configure: select industrial automation slave mode, configure for DF1 full duplex, set the baud rate to 19,200. After almost 20 years in the business, I am confident that I have gotten that part right, still no luck.

Digi wants $90 up front for tech support, the distributor my client went through has tried very hard to help me with this, he was able to arrange a call without the fee. This is the point at which we were able to get the second unit to communicate, only difference was going through the “wizard configuration”, which didn’t do anything different than what I had already (repeatedly) tried, but for some reason it worked. After the phone call, using the identical process to get the 1st and 3rd units to communicate was unsuccessful.

Because of the “out of the box” problems we have encountered with this product, at this point myself and my client (BASF) have decided that we cannot count on this device, so we are purchasing 5/05s to connect up to directly.

Not sure what the problem is here, the only common factor is the Digi Ones themselves, could be they got a bad run of serial comm chips or some kind of other defect.

Has anyone had any experience with the Amplicon MGate EIP 3000?

John:

Are RSLinx and Ignition on the same computer? The one unit I have operational seems to work perfectly, RSLinx finds the SLC and I can browse tags in Ignition.

If you have Ignition on a different computer than RSLinx, make sure that sneakly Windows Firewall on the Ignition computer hasn 't re-enabled itself.

Linx is not on the same computer as Ignition. I may try the ‘lite’ version and see what happens. On this Ignition server I’m successfully talking to several ControlLogix processors natively and a few PLC-5’s, SLC-5/04’s on DH+ through a CLX DHRIO bridge. These all work perfectly.

I’ve used this DIGI for years on the little Micro 1200. It works great for programming connectivity and is way more stable than Rockwell’s NET-ENI.

Any other suggestions or comments are appreciated… I’d sure like to get this going. The Micrologix 1200 isn’t doing a lot but it holds data I really need to log.

Thanks,

John

I believe there was a previous post from someone with a similar problem with the Micrologix 1200, the solution in their case was to disable processor browse in the OPC / UA device configuration (advanced settings).

Thanks. I’ve tried that… no joy.

At this point we’re still evaluating Ignition. If I can’t get at least some kind of answer from Inductive I may consider another package.

The tech support has been a little disappointing.

We don’t have a Digi One IAP in-house to test with right now so I just placed an order for one. I’ll have to see about getting a MicroLogix 1200 as well; I think we have a 1100, 1400, and 1500 :angry:

Did I see elsewhere about a firmware update solving issues?

Would this be an update on the PLC side? The Digi Ones I attempted to get configured had the most current firmware, and Digi tech support said nothing about the possibility of a firmware issue on the PLC side.

Try this:

In the Digi One IAP Configuration, under “Industrial Automation”, Network Masters, make sure only allen-bradley ethernet is selected, and ethernet/IP (port 44818) is NOT selected.

Check out the discussion: “Micrologix 1100 Device Connection Problem”.

This issue was resolved by a firmware update in the 1100

Thanks again. So far, no luck.

I do not have an 1100, I have a 1200.

Any other ideas or suggestions are welcomed!

John

the serial port hardware / software in the 1200 may have the same issue. You mentioned that you have had this 1200 for awhile.

In the case of the 1100, it was a series A controller, so it had been around for some time.

The 1200 is one firmware rev behind current. I tried updating using Controlflash but am having no luck at present. Perhaps my old series A won’t take it?

Geeze…I gotta love AB )-;.