JDBC driver for Progress 9.1E

I am hoping to be able to connect to Progress 9.1E database.

Help///

If I’m not mistaken on the media provided with Progress there is a set of “client components” including a driver that will operate with JDBC.

Generally, with JDBC available, we can get it to work with the system. Sometimes there are some intricacies that make things difficult, but hopefully we can work around those.

Unfortunately, none of us here have any experience with that system, so we can’t help too much off the bat, but we can help with the process. Conveniently, I found a pretty good user’s guide for the jdbc driver here.

The basic process:

1. Create a new database translator from System>Database>Drivers>Translators Tab.
  2. Create a new driver entry
    2b) Add the jar file(s)
    2c) Configure the settings:
    Class name: [tt]com.progress.sql.jdbc.JdbcProgressDriver[/tt]
    Url Format: [tt]jdbc:JdbcProgress:T:isis:5000:testdb[/tt]
    DB Translator: As created above
  3. Create a new connection using that driver
  4. Try to figure out what to tweak to make it work!

I got these values from the guide, hopefully they’re correct. Obviously, the trickiest part is #4. Each database has a variety of quirks- from a decent validation query (a query that can be run to make sure the connection is ok, that returns 1 value), to the specific syntax for creating tables, indexes, id columns, etc.

Depending on what you want to do you may not have to get into all of that. If you just want to read data, for example, you may just need to get the validation query to work (and there’s a good chance that the default “select 1” is fine). If you want to use all features, including transaction groups and sqltags (external, or sqltags history), you might have a bit more work on your hands.

Hope this gets you started,

Thank you both. I will work on this.

It seems you may be an Archer fan...

I am having trouble in Data Type Mapping section.

What is this page asking for?

Do any of these keywords go in the fields above?

I actually just copied that directly from something I found online... so any clever references are (unfortunately) not my responsibility! :laughing:

So, that table is mapping our types to the database types. You can pretty much pull them directly from that first table you posted. We tend to just use "integer" for the main integer number types, but you can try using the more specific types. So, it looks like you would use the following:

I1=TINYINT
I2=SMALLINT
I4=INTEGER
I8=INTEGER? Maybe NUMERIC
Boolean=BIT
Datetime=TIMESTAMP
R4=REAL
R8=DOUBLE
String=VARCHAR
Binary=LONGVARBINARY

Hope this helps,

Perhaps I don’t understand what’s going on here…

…but I have a connection to Postgres 9.1 on my dev machine and I did zero configuration work other than making sure the username, password, and database name were specified.

What are you guys doing?

[quote=“Kevin.Herron”]Perhaps I don’t understand what’s going on here…

…but I have a connection to Postgres 9.1 on my dev machine and I did zero configuration work other than making sure the username, password, and database name were specified.

What are you guys doing?[/quote]

er… Progress 9.1E?

Hi

This topic explains connecting to a 10.1.C progress DB. Might be of some help

Aidan

http://inductiveautomation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=7677&p=23736&hilit=progress#p23736

Oh wow, I see my problem… :blush:

You guys are talking about “Progress”, not “Postgres”. Durrrrrh. :blush: