MySQL 911

Hello,

Seems like all the steps of this project will have been a bit more difficult that what I had anticipated. Some times I get a bit irate. But that is all part of learning!!!

I already have explored most of the topics here MySQL and I have not found exactly what I need.

Around Christmas I installed MySQL, downloaded from their website. When I was ready to configure the database connection I was unable to find out how or even what to do. I though Ignition was taking care of everything. Next I learned that I needed Workbench(taken from a post here). I downloaded it last week and installed it. To me a few hours to understand it. At least I believe I do.

I was able to create Schema Privileges. I have no idea if it was the right thing to do.

On workbench’s left side pane I can see the Catalog tree with mydb and the one I created, I can also see the two data tables I created, one with the employees reference name and the other with the complete list of product we assemble for our largest customer.

This being done I go to Ignition Gateway and try to set up the communication between Ignition and the Data tables. I’ve watched a few times the webinar on that topic and I took some notes down.

From a blank slate I create a new connection to MySQL. The path is: jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/PrIgnition (I put stars because I use the company’s name). PrIgnition is the name of the Shema. If I need to connect directly to the Data Table (one example would be the one called test used by Travis) should the path be: jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/employee?

The other major problem I encounter with MySQL is that I cannot seem to get a user and password to connect. I do not recall setting up a password as I installed the software. Had I, I would have used one that I created for this project. Is there a default password in MySQL? The information is not easy to find on the software. Here we know for sure that the default one is Password.

Further more I made some attempts to use the previous installation of MySQL. In the start menu/all programs/MySQL. There is a folder in which there is: MySQL Administrator, MySQL Migration Toolkit, MySQL Query Browser, MySQL System tray monitor, A folder as Server 5.1 that contains also: MySQL Command line and MySQL Server Instance Config Wizard.

What hints me is that I may not have the proper software is that the window of the MySQL is not alike the one Travis uses. At one point he goes to his TEST data table and erases it’s content. The tree is on the right side of the window. I don’t recall having hallucinations lately. :laughing:

I tried the Wizard and the Administrator to log in.

What should I do? I feel like I am lost in the wild.

Thank you.

The path should only point to the schema where the tables are stored. You can then use the query browser in Ignition to work with the tables. (Although if you are looking to create/modify tables without using the automatic creation in Ignition, then use Workbench)

[quote="Pulsar2003"]
The other major problem I encounter with MySQL is that I cannot seem to get a user and password to connect. I do not recall setting up a password as I installed the software. Had I, I would have used one that I created for this project. Is there a default password in MySQL? The information is not easy to find on the software. Here we know for sure that the default one is Password.[/quote]

The default account is root with no password

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Ok.

I just spent an hour working on this and still at the same stale point.

[color=#FF4000]For this issue, would you recommend Inductive Automation’s Forum or MySQL’s?[/color]

I realize that Workbench cannot connect because there are no connection established. As I created Data Tables there I want to be able to use them and not start from scratch.

On Workbench’s help or Reference Manual I got the the item #4: Getting Started. From the explanations there I was able to create my data tables. The topic #10 give the explanations on how to connect to the liver server. I follow all the steps to the item #15. I click “Test the connection”, there is a popup that ask for the user name and password. I try those I just created. And I get the refusal that is attached.

I look up to see if I still can try the item #16, I only have the “Reverse Engineer”, the “Forward Engineer” is pale grey.

I’m going to stop here with Workbench. May be I cannot go further because MySQL is not well configured.

I did try the default password and it stop right there. If I set up a password during installation I cannot remember. I also have included some print screens.

And last, my connection to the database in Ignition’s is always faulted. I eased the first one and started from scratch. Always the same result.
:scratch:

Tks.

Usually MySQL is very easy to install and connect to. When you first install it, it should take you though and Instance Configuration wizard. In that it asks you to supply a password for the ‘root’ account. If you cannot remember that password, the easiest way to fix it is to reinstall MySQL. There is a way to start the service with a special file to change the password, but you will have to check the MySQL forums for exactly how to do that.

The first thing I would check though is if the MySQL service is running. That may be your problem. You said that the name of the schema is Pr**Ignition. How did you create this schema if you cannot log into MySQL?

I hope this helps,

To follow what was just said, here’s the instructions for resetting the root password:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/resetting-permissions.html

Regards,