FPMI as an RSViewSE Replacement

FactoryPMI usings Jython as its included programming language. You should be able to do whatever it is you want to do, so long as you can code it.

[quote]Obviously pricing is very attractive but this also involves some thought on our end in terms of engineering costs and training to come up to speed with FactoryPMI. Also, we know the limitations and many of the gotcha's on the Rockwell products as well as it's track record in stability and performance, which for us, has been very good.
[/quote]
I have replaced 3 RSView32 systems with the IA stack. There is nothing in RSView32 that I could not do with IA

[quote]Most of our applications are fairly simple. They are stand alone systems. Lots of graphics and trends, PID tuning, etc. as an average, there may be 20-30 screens in each application with 2000-3000 tags, some derived tags, some simple VBA, etc...

Some of our larger systems are distributed applications and may have up to 100 screens, 10,000 tags, animated graphics, some pre-canned faceplates for PID loop tuning and maybe a good amount of VBA for doing some more complicated recipe handling, etc..
[/quote]
I have a project right now with 6000 tags coming in, 50 windows, 700 historical tags saved every second for 30 days, and about 300 tags saved every 5 seconds for 2 years.

We are currently rewriting another plant running RSView right now, and once its all said and done, Itll have about 35000 tags( or more), with probably about 200 windows. 1000 tags will be stored every second for 30 days, and about 2000 tags will be stored every 5 seconds for 2 years. Ill keep you posted, it shoudl be done in a few months

[quote]What I'm looking for is some information on the following:

1. Experience with FPMI as a direct replacement for RSView SE.
    [/quote]
    It was actually quite easy. Obviously, there is a transition stage between the 2 architectures, but it was pretty simple. Plus, IA provides without a doubt the best technical support of any HMI... any software comapny on the market. They will more then likely help you with the transition, as will myself and probably many others in this forum

Crash.....lol. Our RSView 32 systems would lock up under load... by load I mean 4 concurrent users switching screens.

On a serious note, the only thing IA lacks right now is server based scripts. While I guess this can be done in FactorySQL, its nto quite the same. Any scripts wrote in PMI are executed by clients.

Well, the designer is web launched, can be ran on Windows, Linux or Mac. Same goes for the client.

[quote]3) Is there any re-usability of existing RSView graphical elements? Contrologix faceplates, etc
[/quote]
Not really. The faceplates are ActiveX components, so techincally yes, but then your limited to Windows Only clients. If you want some templates that closely resemle the faceplates, I have a PID faceplate, PID faceplate with tuning, PID faceplate with settings, Autotune, and an Analog faceplate.

Microsoft Excel or Open Office Calc

Ohhhh boy. Major difference. Using RSView32/RAD/RSlinx, 3 clients, our server was using about 70% of its resources whiel idle. With IA, running IA/Kepware, 6 clients, we hover around 10% under load.

[quote]Anything I can learn ahead of time would be very helpful...

Thanks,

Chris
[/quote]
Honestly, give the demo a look, download the trials, and test it out. You wont be disappointed. IA is a cutting edge HMI is looking at the future.

If you want, I can give you a walk through of my applications, and walk you through some of the designer. Let me know

Kyle Chase