Pocket Java

I caught a quick glance of an advertisement for a new cell phone (or PDA?) a caouple days ago.

I sware, on the display screen it had a “Powered by Java” logo.

You guys heard anything like this??

John

Yeah, many (most?) PDAs support Java. Unfortunately, they support what is called J2ME (Java 2, Micro Edition). The FactoryPMI client needs J2SE (Java 2, Standard Edition).

We think its only a matter of time until someone makes a PDA that can run the full J2SE. In fact, there was one company (SavaJe) that purported to have some success in this arena, but they tanked. (interestingly, Sun bought their intellectual property).

In the meantime, there are more and more “Ultra-mobile” (originally “Origami”) devices that run full Windows, meaning a full J2SE. (Samsung Q1, OQO, TabletKiosk, etc see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-Mobile_PC#Available_Devices)

Stay tuned…

I am not sure what operating system or even for that matter what phones our IT dept use. I know that they resemble the new I-Phone although they are not and they are from Verizon and they have a large screen on it. But anyway back on task they have tried out these out and they do work with Inductive Automation software. I also know that the owner of the company has something like the blackberry and the IT dept was able to bring up our project on that as well. Then I have an HP Ipaq which I have attached into our inhouse network and was able to bring our project up on that. So far we have been really pleased with the IA support and with their product and its capabilities.

[quote=“Carl.Gould”]Yeah, many (most?) PDAs support Java. Unfortunately, they support what is called J2ME (Java 2, Micro Edition). The FactoryPMI client needs J2SE (Java 2, Standard Edition).

We think its only a matter of time until someone makes a PDA that can run the full J2SE. In fact, there was one company (SavaJe) that purported to have some success in this arena, but they tanked. (interestingly, Sun bought their intellectual property).

In the meantime, there are more and more “Ultra-mobile” (originally “Origami”) devices that run full Windows, meaning a full J2SE. (Samsung Q1, OQO, TabletKiosk, etc see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-Mobile_PC#Available_Devices)

Stay tuned…[/quote]

I hate to sound astonished, but … really? Could you post some more details here? You’re launching a FPMI client off the Gateway launch page?

I knew that technology would eventually start catching up to us - looks like Sun is going to start phasing out Java ME and have mobile devices support Java SE - this would let you run a FactoryPMI project on mobile devices!

news.com/8301-13580_3-980067 … 7-1_3-0-20

Its happening from both ends…
newegg.com/Product/ProductLi … toreType=3

More developments on this front…
maemo.nokia.com/n900/

Well, we finally ran out of patience waiting for this and made a move to get it working via another technology.