Uses of RFID in projects-- continued

Our new friend @erfritts asked about uses of RFID and HMIs and what others had come up with in this topic. But alas, since he’d locked the topic by marking it solved (no worries, been there, still there! :wink: ), I thought it appropriate to start a new thread here to continue on.

So, like Arnold Horshack, I’ll start: “Ooh! Ooh!”

This didn’t go to the HMI directly, it went to PLC. I designed a dual-head reader system for fixture ID on an assembly line. At the time, it would have cost us $1500-$1800 to integrate one in from Pepperl+Fuchs or Omron. Being thrifty (read ‘cheap’) I put this together for under $150. Written to output a binary representation of the fixture ID, but a serial port is there to expand into sending the actual Tag ID over RS232.

My board layout:

Reader head assembly:

Tag placement:

Heck, I’ll toss in the program and documentation. Done under MIT license.
Dual.RFID.Reader.zip (154 KB)

:thumb_left: :thumb_left: :thumb_left: :thumb_left:

Oh this is very cool! The code looks like assembly? Way more complex than my setup. Now that I have my proof of concept worked out I have to break down my script into functions and add some concurrent user access control. I’ll be back with pictures and model code in a few weeks :thumb_left:

Ok after constant distractions I’m back to post some content. These are some pictures of the hardware we are using and a few of the HMI screen shots. I also included the primary jython class used to implement the setup. Just a recap: Supervisor requests the parameters screen and is asked to swipe RFID badge. Once input is detected a verification button is offered. Verification button is pressed by user, user is greeted and parameter screen is opened if it is available for use. Concurrent use of individual parameter screens is unauthorized. So enjoy. Constructive criticism is welcome I am but a sprout and sure this could be improved greatly.

And the final picture and the main jython class I use
AuthUser.py (6.81 KB)