14 Myths About Historians & SQL Databases

Tranh2,
:bulb: You’re correct. MySQL and MariaDB are different database (RDBMS) systems. Users often distinguish between these as brands or products, Microsoft has MSSQL, Oracle the company has Oracle the database, etc. The storage engine is an important internal component that casual users are often unaware of. Some engines cannot be changed but can be tweaked. Others like MySQL and MariaDB (a MySQL fork) support very different options.

The bottom line is this - with very little expertise, you can download a free version of MySQL, a trial version of Ignition, and have Ignition “do all the work” - set up tables, create the underlying queries, etc. You’ll be able to log quite a bit of PLC data on a modest laptop, no SQL knowledge required. Roughly speaking, I’d guess that you’d get better performance out the box than systems that you may have used that don’t use standard databases (…for me, using legacy RSView32 back in the day, logging to flat text files). Ignition provides much of the same “purpose built” features that the white paper references.

For those projects with intense system requirements, a well configured database (and good hardware) goes a long ways. In those cases, one might hire someone like Kyle for consultation. I always recommend diving in and learning what you can and are interested in - about databases, sql, configuration, etc.

[quote=“tranh2”]Hey guys,

I’d just like to return to this for some clarification on the TokuDB/MariaDB/MySQL and datbase topics. I’ve been reading up on these pieces of software to try to learn about them and how Ignition interacts with those items. I’m not familar with SQL and databases.

So what is the difference between TokuDB/MariaDB/MySQL. From my readings with wiki TokuDB is a storage engine while MariaDB and MySQL are RDBMS. So does that mean that MySQL and MariaD are responsible for setting up data structures, reading, writing, deleting data, updating data etc to and from MariaDB? So Ignition Interacts with MariaDB or MySQL and MariaDB/MySQL in turns interacts with TokuDB?

Thanks![/quote]