Remote access problems

I connect remotely to a customer’s site to carry out maintenance and run a FactoryPMI client. Everything works perfectly over an IPSec VPN, but when I try to run a FactoryPMI client by tunnelling over an SSH connection I get an ‘Unable to launch application’ error.

When I press the Details button on the error dialog, I get the following under Exception:com.sun.deploy.net.FailedDownloadException: Unable to load resource: http://127.0.0.1:81/gateway/lib/FPMIClient.jar at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.actionDownload(Unknown Source) at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.getCacheEntry(Unknown Source) at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.getCacheEntry(Unknown Source) at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.getResourceCacheEntry(Unknown Source) at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.getResourceCacheEntry(Unknown Source) at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.getResource(Unknown Source) at com.sun.javaws.LaunchDownload$DownloadTask.call(Unknown Source) at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(Unknown Source) at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown Source) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source) at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source) and the following under Wrapped Exception:java.io.EOFException: Unexpected end of ZLIB input stream at java.util.zip.InflaterInputStream.fill(Unknown Source) at java.util.zip.InflaterInputStream.read(Unknown Source) at java.util.zip.ZipInputStream.read(Unknown Source) at com.sun.deploy.net.HttpDownloadHelper.decompressWrite(Unknown Source) at com.sun.deploy.net.HttpDownloadHelper.download(Unknown Source) at com.sun.deploy.cache.Cache.downloadResourceToTempFile(Unknown Source) at com.sun.deploy.cache.Cache.downloadResourceToCache(Unknown Source) at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.actionDownload(Unknown Source) at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.getCacheEntry(Unknown Source) at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.getCacheEntry(Unknown Source) at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.getResourceCacheEntry(Unknown Source) at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.getResourceCacheEntry(Unknown Source) at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.getResource(Unknown Source) at com.sun.javaws.LaunchDownload$DownloadTask.call(Unknown Source) at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(Unknown Source) at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown Source) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source) at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source) Any ideas what is happening? SSH is a very straightforward way of getting remote access if you only need to connect to one PC on a remote network and avoids all the complexities of IPSec. Other apps like VNC and MySQL work without a problem.

This is all happening in the Java Web Start system before it even gets to Ignition. Try taking a look at Java’s proxy settings.

I’m not using a proxy for Java. Are you saying I should or shouldn’t?

I’m saying you should look at the settings and make sure it isn’t set up inadvertently. By default it is usually set to “Use browser settings”, you might want to try “Direct connection”

All that I can tell from the stack trace is that your SSH tunnel appears to be altering/truncating the jar files.

Carl and I carried out some testing and found that the combination of freeSSHd and PuTTY was the culprit (more specifically freeSSHd). We tried it out with CopSSH acting as the SSH server and it worked perfectly.

I’ll investigate a few more possibilities and once I get a handle on things I’ll hopefully post a write-up in the Knowledge Base.