SQL Server Express 2005 connection

If you use the Express (free) version of SQL Server 2005 you need to add the following connection string:

‘instance=SQLEXPRESS;’ under “Extra Connection Properties” of the FPMI Gateway datasource connection.

If you get an error message that the instance doesn’t exist on the database server check the following:

Make sure that named pipes and TCP/IP protocols are enabled:

Start / Programs / SQL Server 2005 / Computer Manager
Open “Server Network Configuration”
Highlight “Protocols for SQLEXPRESS”
Right-click the Tcp node and make sure it is enabled (click “Enable” if it is available)

Start the SQL Browser service:
Start / Run… / type “NET START SQLBROWSER” without the quotes and hit OK

taken from here

Also consider allowing SQL Server and Windows authentication for database access instead of the default Windows authentication.

Verify that the “SQL Server Browser” and (possibly) the “SQL Server Active Directory Helper” services are running.

Details can be found here

This authentication is only relevant to the service running FactorySQL or FactoryPMI - it does not relate to your users security credentials.

hi, I started learning Factory PMI just two days age. Everything was fine until I try to connect to MS SQL 2005 Express Edition that is installed in the same computer with FactoryPMI. I did everything according to your post but I still got the error message. The error message is here…

Datasource ‘test’ FAIL (next test in 8 seconds)

I/O Error: DB server closed connection.

Details:
SQLException
net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.TdsCore.nextToken(TdsCore.java:2277)
net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.TdsCore.login(TdsCore.java:599)
net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.ConnectionJDBC2.(ConnectionJDBC2.java:331)
net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.ConnectionJDBC3.(ConnectionJDBC3.java:50)
net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.Driver.connect(Driver.java:178)
org.apache.commons.dbcp.DriverConnectionFactory.createConnection(DriverConnectionFactory.java:38)
org.apache.commons.dbcp.PoolableConnectionFactory.makeObject(PoolableConnectionFactory.java:294)
org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource.validateConnectionFactory(BasicDataSource.java:1247)
org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource.createDataSource(BasicDataSource.java:1221)
org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource.getConnection(BasicDataSource.java:880)
com.inductiveautomation.factorypmi.gateway.db.DatasourceManager$DSInfo.runTest(DatasourceManager.java:631)
com.inductiveautomation.factorypmi.gateway.db.DatasourceManager$FaultedDatasourceRetryer.run(DatasourceManager.java:468)
java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Try addingssl=request to the extra connection parameters for that connection.

Thanks a lot. I can solve my problem with your help. Thank you so much. :smiley: :smiley: