Allen Bradley PowerFlex 40 AC Drive

Looking to connect Ignition this existing piece of hardware to access the drive parameters. It is equipped with with an Allen Bradley 22-COMM-E Ethernet/IP Adapter. Can it be done? Driver? Tips? Additional hardware communication interface?

The 22-COMM-E adapter has a “PCCC Object” that allows it to emulate a PLC-5 or SLC-5/05 controller.

It’s documented in Appendix C of the 22-COMM-E user manual, publication 22-COMM-UM004. The part you want starts on page C-20, where the Drive Parameters in Single-Drive Mode are listed as being emulated as N10:x.

Define the drive as though it was an SLC-5/05 and let us know how it works.

Any idea of the connection path properties needed for this connection? We’ve used the SLC-5 & PLC-5 drivers with a blank connection path and haven’t had any luck connecting to the drive.

The drives are talking to a PLC with E/IP… there shouldn’t be any more configuration needed in the drive, should there?

Any updates to this topic?

We continue to have a need to communicate with these drives and Kepware et. al. are cumbersome/expensive alternatives. Any updates to this subject? Do you foresee adding this functionality to the Ignition drivers anytime soon? Thanks.

The PowerFlex 40 supports Modbus RTU, so you could try the Modbus I/O server.
If it was a PowerFlex 70 it would be nicer…they support Modbus/TCP.

PCCC is one of the supported protocols for the SLC driver and it might work, but you will have to select the “Disable Processor Browse” in the advanced device settings in Ignition. Then you will have to manually enter OPC item paths in for each tag.

Keep us posted.

Still no luck on the PowerFlex Drives with a 22-COMM-E card. We used the SLC driver, blank path, disabled the processor browse. Not making a connection. For some reason it seems I should be putting something in the path, but since we’re connecting directly to the drive, I’m not sure what it should be.

[quote=“thechtman”]PCCC is one of the supported protocols for the SLC driver and it might work, but you will have to select the “Disable Processor Browse” in the advanced device settings in Ignition. Then you will have to manually enter OPC item paths in for each tag.

Keep us posted.[/quote]

hello,

I have the same problem but can not connect using the OPC item path in the Tag Editor of the Ignition designer.

Someone can give me an example of the OPC item path for a micrologix 1400?

thanks

We finally had success simply setting the path to ‘0’ and disabling the browse.

Hi, how do you add a specific parameter from the Powerflex drive ?