Failed to Validate Certificate

I have seen a lot of threads regarding this issue but I have kind of a unique setup at the moment with our server so I thought I would start a new thread. One of my users just emailed me today saying that they couldn’t get into the software due to a “Failed to Validate Certificate” error. They said everything was working fine for them yesterday. I haven’t changed anything on the server in that time.

Our server is located behind a firewall and the only communication that is allowed to that server is over port 8088. The server is not allowed to connect to anything on the internet over port 80 (so basically has no internet connection). Will this be an issue for getting valid certificates? The Ignition server is version 7.5.5 (b1255) 64 bit running on a Windows 7 PC. I need to update the Ignition server at some point but I will have to do it with a thumb drive since I cannot connect to the internet.

When a client connects to our Ignition server they first have to connect into a VPN that cuts them off from the rest of the internet. Will this prevent them from ever being able to validate the certificate? Is the only option to change the security settings for the clients in their Java console (rather not have to do this and expose them to security risks)? Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,
-Will

Just a quick update. The client changed his Java security settings to get around the error and he was able to connect. The strange thing is that when he changed the security settings back and tried connecting again he had no trouble connecting and did not get the “Failed to Validate” error. Any ideas as to why this would happen?

Thanks,
-Will